John Coyle wrote:

> The fastest slide copier I've ever used is an Otek, which must use a
> sensor covering the whole field of a 35mm frame (negative or slide),
> and uses an internal light source and flat field lens: each frame takes
> less than a second to copy to a CF card.  The drawback is that the
> illumination is slightly uneven, so there is a vignetting effect.  If
> the manufacturers were able to develop the system to eliminate that, it
> would be a winner.  It has been marketed under various brand names, I
> think.
> I've used bellows and flash arrangements before, and the significant
> issues have tended to be evenness of illumination and getting the
> subject aligned so that there is no focus fall off at any edge of the
> frame.
>
> I'm currently using an Epson V500 to digitise my archives, and there is
> no doubt it is a slow process.  There is also the need to correct the
> scans in PS for dust removal, as I found that using ICE technology (at
> the medium setting) blocked up shadow areas, so that, for example, a
> child's eyes looked like something out of a horror movie!

I still have my film bellows set and Pentax slide copier A. I have, on
occasion, used it with a K7 and found it fantastically frustrating to set
up. I have produced some good captures from it, but taken far longer than if
I'd just scanned them - and without all the setting up time, getting angry
and having to go for a walk.

I'm using the V600, and I spend ages trying to ensure the slide is as dust
free as I can before scanning, as it is another job to remove visible dust
and correct other horrors!

Malcolm