Decided to do the Windows 10 "upgrade" on my laptop first because it's
the one I can afford to do without (while troubleshooting) if anything
goes wrong.

So, right off the bat, I get an error ...

"Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10"

"[Triangle-Exclamation Mark] Compatibility issue:"

"NVIDIA GeForce 7300"
"The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with
Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support."

I checked. There's apparently a solution, but it looks like it's going
to be a long, involved, pain-in-the-ass workaround.

I hope it's not going to screw up any of the software I already have
installed.