----- Original Message -----
From: Shel Belinkoff
Subject: Running Film Through The Spin Cycle

> I hate developing film.  It's been said that a Jobo machine
will at
> least make the pain endurable.  Well, I've resisted getting a
machine
> until now.  I read (perhaps here) that using a Jobo can free
you up to
> shoot more film, as it can be processed automatically.  I
wouldn't have
> to burn film with much thought to the time/energy/boredom of
processing
> the rolls by hand.

I suppose it depends on the Jobo. Mine requires babysitting, as
it is a manual lift.

> Questions for those who have used both hand and Jobo
processing for B&W
> negative work: do you see any qualitative differences between
Jobo
> processed film and that which you've done manually?  Is the
grain
> structure the same?  How does the contrast compare? Any other
comparison
> points would be welcome.

I honestly haven't compared grain structure between Jobo
processed film and hand processed. Here is what I have found:
The Jobo requires a higher concentration of developer, as it
uses very little chemistry. With the 1500 series of tank, I can
process 5 36 exposure rolles of film, or 6 120 rolls of film in
570 ml of chemistry.
The only developer I have found that works well in the Jobo is
HC:110.

Because the Jobo is constant agitation, the tendency is to
higher contrast. This means that processing times are shorter, I
have found by as much as 30~40%. This decrease in processing
time is enough to affect film speed. The Jobo cost me about a
stop, overall.

Jobo processed films are very evenly developed. I have had no
problems with uniform processing, even with developing times as
short as 3 minutes.
A prewash is a good thing with a Jobo. It increases developing
times by as much as 15 seconds.
So, everything does change with a Jobo.
However, I wouldn't go back to hand processing for anything.

William Robb