Hi Vic ...

I understand the point you're trying to make, but for me using the
computer, desaturated color film, and an ink jet printer just doesn't
provide the results I'm looking for. Desaturated color film does not
have the same tonality as B&W negative film, and please, don't even
suggest chromogenic B&W.  While it has its place, it's quite limited in
the results it can deliver, and there are very few emulsion choices and
but one speed of film.

Apart from different results, there's the pleasure derived from working
in a darkroom that I don't get from sitting in front of a computer
screen.

I don't believe that the costs between a wet darkroom and computer
generated prints are that different, and suspect that a wet darkroom is
less expensive, especially in the long run.  Printing ink for B&W work
is quite spendy, and good quality paper is not cheap either.  A printer
that's capable of making high quality 11x14 prints is probably as
expensive, or even more expensive, than an enlarger, which doesn't wear
out and never becomes obsolete.

Apart from chemicals and paper, and perhaps safelight filters, all
darkroom purchases are one-time only affairs.  Enlargers, lenses, trays,
tanks, etc., are not consumables.  They don't wear out or become
obsolete as does computer gear.  A forty year old enlarger works just as
well today as it did when new.

The environmental concerns may be similar, IMO, between computers and a
chemical darkroom., although I believe that computers, overall, are more
of an environmental disaster.  But, IAC, it comes down to choosing your
poison and how it effects you and the rest of the world.  Old computers,
monitors, and the like are a real disposal hazard, and the manufacture
of chips and circuits can wreak environmental havoc.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]