P.J.,

I understand and agree with your point that Paul proficienty and efficiently using the tools he has. And I assume all people on this list learned and developed some tricks to compensate for the shortcomings of the cameras we've been using. (I can say that about myself even if maybe not at Paul's level of proficiency.)

But then when you are (sort of) blaming (or at least seeing it being a problem) "most kids today" for enjoying the more advanced features of the more feature-rich cameras, I disagree with that.

Technology changes. Nobody is going to say that a writer is not good enough if he/she cannot write with a feather, scribing on papyrus, on adobe plates .. or even type with a simple typewriter :-D.

And very few (if any) today's sound engineers would know how to record music with a gramophone.

Closer to this list: I think it is pretty much settled that the future Ansel-Adamses do not have to carry a wooden box and glass plates. I am sure it wasn't that obvious when "compact" cameras showed up on the market. I would even venture to suggest that even Ansel Adams would have switched to a 645Z if appropriate opportunities were presented. :-)

Having said all that, I would fully support you on is that one should know his/her tool very well, regardless of what that tool is. And I think that's what is in the foundation of your being unhappy with the "most kids today". But to that, - this situation is timeless: in all generations there are and there were people who don't bother learning about their tools, just scraping on the surface and being satisfied with that. And even for that, - that is a problem only when those people claim being "experts" (like the "reviewer" who should not be named). If someone is using only some (subset of) functions of an advanced tool and draw their pleasure from that, so be it. And if someone has the money to blow on a McLaren of SLRs (pun intended) to use for facebook snaps, all the best to him/her.

Cheers,

Igor