> On Sep 30, 2016, at 3:10 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> The bright spot should be shaped like the aperture. It's lens flare, caused
> by light reflecting off internal parts of the lens. Use as long a lens hood
> as you can without vignetting to minimize. Shooting from under an umbrella
> held to "flag" the sun also helps. Finally, the best lenses with excellent
> coatings offer more flare resistance than cheaper lenses. Most Pentax lenses
> have excellent coating.
>

> On Sep 30, 2016, at 3:14 PM, P.J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That is a symptom of lens flair, and it's caused by reflections within the
> lens that design and coatings haven't been able to completely eliminate.  The
> fact that it's six sided means that your lens has a six bladed aperture.  To
> not have this type of flair, don't shoot into bright light sources.  Sorry
> not the advice you were looking for.  The other thing you can do with this
> type of lens flair is make it part of your composition and just live with it.
>  However on a good note you have found one of the limits of your lens.

Thanks to both of you. The lens is the smc da 4-5.6 50-200 ed wr—I think you
recommended to me, Paul. I had a hood on but it was a short soft rubber one.
I’d very much like to have the new hd da 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ed palm wr re lens,
but my body is a k-5, which doesn’t take advantage of the capabilities of this
lens. The lens and a minimally qualifying body—k-3ii—together are beyond me at
the moment.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net