I recently started with photography... I bought a Spotmatic  in
excellent condition and three lenses: 28mm, 50mm and 90-190mm... I've
really enjoyed shooting with all of them and learned from using all
three lenses. My best shots have come from the "normal" and the 28mm. I
think the fact of using a fully  manual camera has taught me a lot about
light, exposure and depth of field (I definitely would agree about the
K1000).

About the lens... it depends on her interests. If she likes to shoot
people (I do), she'll enjoy a zoom... I've also felt the need of a
macro, but it can be worked out with close-up filters. In conclusion, if
you have the money, get her a good zoom lens... 130mm is a little short
for my personal needs... maybe an 80-200mm would work fine.

Fernando