On Sun, 12 May 2002 09:40:11 -0700, Doug Franklin wrote:

> How about a brick of some decent film instead of another lens?
>
> TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ

As always, I am impressed with the number of responses -- and the passions they evoke!
 I probably should have mentioned that I had the 50mm and 28mm in my backup bag so I
didn't have to spend any additional cash.

Lessons learned from this thread:

1. Don't involuntarily start a zoom vs. prime debate.  (Though it is fun to read from
the sidelines!)

2. Buy her film!  Duh.

3. She is going to visit for a week late in the summer.  (Just found that out.)  I'll
try to gauge her interest/progression then.

4. I had considered a used body but wanted her to have something "new" for her
birthday.  The ZX-M met the requirement nicely.

5. I think it was Fernando that recommended a good book/guide.  Again, something we
can do later this summer.

6. Someone commented about staying with the SMC-A lenses so they focus in the same
direction.  I had forgotten when I had my Super Program that I hardly used a
non-Pentax lens that I had because it focused "backwards."  Good tip.

7. Another comment was made regarding letting her decide what, if any, next lens she'd
like.  Would she like a super wide-angle, macro, etc.  I like that approach.  This way
she can follow her own path of discovery.

8. I was kind of surprised that nobody mentioned a flash.  The one thing I think the
ZX-M lacks is TTL flash.  I almost went with a Super Program for this reason.

Thank you one and all!!!!!

Ed