Bruce Walker wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Larry Colen<l...@red4est.com>  wrote:
I also decided to try an experiment with an LED modeling light in my strobe. I
haven't had a chance to use it yet, but the incandescents get way too bloody
hot, so I tried modding a 100W equivalent dimmable LED. If it works, I'll put
one in all of them.

PCB warns against trying this with their strobes. They specifically
mention it about Alien Bees and Einsteins, so I don't know if the
caution also applies to the White Lightnings. The warning is that
their dimmers are only designed for tungsten bulbs.

FYI ...

I just got a reply from Paul C Buff on this topic:

Hi Larry,
      Redesigning the White Lightning to incorporate an LED would be quite
an undertaking and cost several thousands of dollars. At this time are not
looking to do this.
However, you can screw in dimmable LED lamp into the WL modeling socket.

  We do not have lengthy data if this LED model lamp will work long term in
our lights.   As long and nothing metal on the LED lamp touches the wire
wrapped flash tube the WL will fire. If the metal part of the LED lamp
touches the wire wrapped flash tube the WL will not fire.

Those hot modeling lights are just part of the cost of doing business
with these strobes. I only burn myself once in a while now. :)

The brand new Alien Bees -- called DigiBees -- have built in LED
modeling lights. And they have many Einstein features too. They are
looking great spec-wise, though I have yet to see one in the flesh.