On Fri, 23 Dec 2016 23:52:32 +0000, you wrote:

>On 24/12/16, Brian Walters, discombobulated, unleashed:
>
>>If anyone wants to spend a bit of ideal time during the holidays, you
>>can spend an hour or so perusing the old galleries,  You'll find the
>>complete PUG here, all the way back to April 1997:
>>
>>http://pug.komkon.org/general/pastgalleries.html
>
>Cool - thanks for posting - had a look at the first few years. My first
>pic was in February of 2001 but pretty sure I found the list and started
>lurking late 1998. I was looking for info on re-celling a Pentax LX
>motor drive and dear Rob Studdert pointed me to one of his web pages
>detailing just such info.

The PUG archive is a fascinating tour through the past. What's
interesting about the web is how it's a continually updated time
capsule that one can consult any time. It's particularly fascinating
to be able to go through the era during which photography made the
transition from film to digital. When the PUG began in 1997 serious
photography, even at the most basic amateur level, was a strictly
analogue endeavour; digital cameras of the time were toys with
hopelessly limited resolution and dynamic range. Look at those early
galleries, made at a time when 400 x 600 pixels was a large online
image (when the standard monitor had 600 x 800 resolution).

I seriously hope there are good back-ups of the entire PUG kept
because it's the kind of thing that will be of inestimable value to
historians of future generations.

...and on that note I'd like to add that the PDML Photo Annual has
similar value. I do wish we'd started it a few years earlier, so as to
capture the height of the transition between film and digital
(probably beginning with the Canon D30, which appeared in late
200/early 2001, and being "stick a fork in it" done by 2003 with the
Pentax ist-D". But I doubt the print-on-demand publishing industry was
quite up to speed at that time either.

Still, we're planning on doing another Photo Annual for 2017. Start
getting your best images ready.