I don't know if the structure supporting the rose window contributed to its
collapse but I can see how that might have happened.  I suspect it would have
done so anyway.

Your questions are pretty much spot on.  A building that survives one large
quake might collapse in the next (as happened with the CTV building here).  If
restored it will need some substantial engineering.  Definitely possible as
they've been doing so with the Arts Centre.

As for how far gone it is, that's the subject of the very argument that's
keeping it in its current state :)  I think the smallest number I've seen is
about $70M NZD to restore.

Cheers,
Dave