On 1/26/2017 9:19 AM, Eric Featherstone wrote:
On 26 January 2017 at 14:13, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
On Jan 25, 2017, at 12:57 PM, Boris Liberman <bori...@gmail.com> wrote:

If Eric wants to crop less, he can do either what you suggest and read
some serious texts on the matter, or he can simply practice something
like nifty-fifty for awhile, or both.
What’s “nifty-fifty,” Boris. I have a sneaking suspicion I might find it
helpful.
A 50mm prime lens.

It actually covers all the 50mm variations from which includes 55 and 58mm. Earlier lens designers prior to computerization for it easier to remove most undesirable lens characteristics with a slightly longer lens. The same is true of a lot of medium format cameras too. The actual normal lens for a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inch (6x6 cm), is about 70mm but lens designers found it much easier to make lenses with better edge effects slightly longer, so you'll find a lot of those cameras had 75-85mm lenses. Designing good normal lenses for 35mm wasn't any different, so you'll find a lot of, not just inexpensive f2.0 or slower, sometimes even f 1.4 "professional" lenses in 55 and 58mm. Those all are considered nifty 50s now.