Stan,

I don't know about Delta, I haven't flown on Delta for ages.
That's why I didn't write "all" airlines.

My most recent personal experience was with Turkish Airlines and Czech Airlines last summer (on international flights), and with Frontier (domestic) last month. All of them claimed they do not do real time tracking (if any tracking at all). While discussing the situation with the first two, I've read confirmation that [at least some] other major airlines do not track packages in real time (if at all).

As for Delta and its app, - I actually wonder what is done "under the hood". Do they actually *track* your luggage (i.e. do they show you
the actual scan place and time?) or they just follow your itinerary,
making an *ASSUMPTION* that the luggage follows alone?

Well, I see the answers to my questions here:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/26/13415458/delta-bag-tracking-app
It's a very recent feature, just a few months old.
I don't know how many US airports Delta and Delta Connections fly to
(out of almost 400 commercial airports), but 84 is probably not all of them. But I am glad to see that a major carrier started such an effort.
Hopefully, the others will follow suit.

Thanks for alerting me about its existence.

Igor