Well, while I see what you mean (operator's error), - but the idea
is to minimize the inventory and the complexity.

I would like to be able to switch quickly between the tripod (for taking a video) and a monopod (for stills) at a kids' sport event. I already have a sturdy (video) tripod with a nice fluid head (Manfrotto 3433 aka 501) that accepts RC5 plates. For the monopod, I don't want to buy a head that would accept RC5 (even if there is one suitable for monopods, which I actually doubt). So, I'd like to "bring them to a common denominator", so to speak.

So, the easiest would be to install such an adapter in the existing tripod "permanently", and only remove the QR plate (or an L-bracket). Also, the advantage of this is that I can swap two cameras on the tripod or monopod if I'd need to, - without necessity to have two sets of each type of plates.

I also was considering if I could remove the clamp part on the 501 head and replace it with one that accepts Arca Swiss QR plates. But so far I don't see how that can be done (without drilling/cutting).

Igor