Dave,

It is the reality of the 21 century: most things are ordered via internet and brought to your home by UPS/FedEx/USPS.

In the first year or two after our kid was born, we had UPS people coming to our door at least 4 times a week, - thanks to free 2-day delivery with Amazon Prime (and the cheapest diapers with "Amazon Family" and subscription).

Re: "most lenses are final sales only".
You can return lenses with several reliable on-line Pentax authorized distributors. Say, on Amazon, IF the seller is Amazon (or the order is "fulfilled by Amazon", in which case the return rules are those of Amazon), -- you can buy lenses, and if you are not satisfied with them within 30 days, you can return them. You'd pay the return shipping. A similar picture is applicable to Walmart.com (only if the items are sold by Walmart). And I also believe, these days, B&H allows returns. IIRC, so does Adorama.

Igor