Ok, let me try this again.  I do realize that I don't need specialized macro equipment
to get the framing I want.  But what I have does not limit the depth of field to the
level I'm looking for.  I have tried this shot with both the 35-105 and the 50 wide
open.  So maybe I don't need macro equipment to get the effect I want, I only asked
about it because I know that true macro set-ups tend to have very limited DOF.  So,
I'll ask again this way:

What lens set-up, macro or not, will give me the narrowest DOF when photographing a 5
inch subject filling a 35mm frame?

Thanks again,
Steven.