Hey Hey..

One of my FAVOURITE films to use !! :)  (or "favorite" for you American
folk - Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!)

Here's my experience with Kodak Portra BW:
I've only had it processed at camera stores.  In the Toronto area, Downtown
Camera and Japan Camera do a wonderful job with this film.  It does not have
the strange blue/purple cast that Ilford XP2 has.  Mind you, if memory
serves me correctly, XP2 was the first C-41 "B&W" film on the market.  Kodak
also makes T400CN which is similar to XP2 in terms of its formula (as far as
I know - if there's a Kodak expert in the crowd feel free to correct moi).
After processing - printing on B&W paper in a darkroom produces excellent
contrast and you can probably get away without using any filters in your
enlarger.  The results on B&W paper are great and I have been able to go up
to 11x14 without any problems.  I would like to see if I can tackle a 16x20
but I don't have a subject that would be decent yet.

The images of the last TOPDML get together (http://www.chang-sang.com/pdml/)
are all shot on Kodak Portra400 BW and scanned in via Minolta Dimage Scan
Elite II.  Using VueScan I simply use the "Ilford XP2" setting in the
"Color" tab and it adjusts accordingly.

As for MiniLabs (i.e. Target/WalMart/Walgreens/Shoppers Drug Mart/etc.) -
I've already had a bad experience when I dropped off XP2 at one (WalMart).
The stunned look - the "what's this?" asked of the "manager" - the eventual
return of prints and unsleeved/rolled negatives - turned me off taking
anything near "professional" film to a MiniLab.  Just my experience - YMMV.

As Shel says... if you wanna take the chance and play a bit (only cost me
$60 CDN - I bought a few "extra" goodies) go for it and develop your own B&W
film.  You'd no longer be limited to 400 ASA (a la Portra) but you could
push/hold back the film and get an opportunity to see what you and your
camera and film can do under interesting lighting conditions :)

Nowadays I use Portra only when I know I HAVE to have prints of EVERYTHING
(i.e. Party Snaps/Family Gatherings etc.).  I stick to using B&W of all
flavours instead and develop my own; scan the negs; and print what I want to
via Epson.  If there's something I really like - I'll rent darkroom space
and print there for $10/hour :)

Cheers,
Dave "Call Me Nuts For Buying Yet Another Camera" Chang-Sang