Frank,

You can't screw up a nice shot.  If you've got the negative, then you
can always make another print, or, if you feel particularly insecure,
the neg can always be taken to a good printer for a final, exhibition
quality print.

And, by processing your own B&W, you can have absolute control over how
the negatives turn out - with the processing keyed to your style of
shooting, and adjusted to even 1/4 stop ISO.  In the long run you'll
probably end up with more good shots because you'll be able to control
the entire process.

Plus, C41 B&W teaches you very little about proper exposure.  You're
trapped into one way of exposing and processing the film, and your
creativity is limited by the emulsion, film speed, and processing
requirements.  C41 B&W has its uses, but, IMO, it's a type of film with
a very limited range.

If you want to grow as a photographer, expand your creativity, and have
photos that have your own look to them, think about leaving C41 B&W and
moving to real B&W film.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]