I used a K7 for about 4 years. I shot mostly in bright light. Good up to ISO 400, tolerable at 800, hopeless beyond. (About the same as my K110D!) Now I have a K5 which is OK even at 3200. Everything else seems much the same as the K7. No electronic problems. Can't imagine why your AF was so bad?

Alan C