OK, you made me look.
The reviews are "interesting". And the app update history is weak

But for what I want, it works. I travel. As I’ve mentioned, when I travel, I
dump the jpeg version of my images to my iPad as a form of backup and for
immediate use. But the iPad storage is limited (128GB in my case). So what I
needed was a way to move some those “backup” jpegs to another place, thus
freeing up internal memory for more. Hopefully I never have to take those files
off the DM Aiplay device, if I do it would be because of a loss or failure of
my RAW files. If I needed to, I could.

So, it works in the following respects:
         - it identifies and sorts images on my iPad, recognizing Photos
folders the system and I have created to organize stuff.
        - it allows the Copy (or Move) of those files to the thumb drive.
        - the copied/moved files look like any other batch of files on any
other USB Drive when plugged into the computer.
I haven’t and won’t use it to take a video with me to watch on my iPad. I
haven’t and won’t use it to take an expanded music library on my iPad. So those
sorts of functionality are irrelevant to me, and that is where most of the bad
reviews seem to come from. And then there was the guy complaining that this
device, made for iOS and OS-X, does not format the files so that they can be
viewed on a PC.

What does impress me, aside from the fact that the device + app just do what I
need, is that the device is nicely built.

And by the way, if it weren’t for the memory-capacity issue, I would never use
anything like this. I totally agree that Airdrop or direct transfer from iPad
to computer is quick, easy, and reliable.

stan