TLDR: In most situations I find that I can push up to 10,000 and get usable images, particularly when shooting social or dance events indoors. I'm much better off doing 10,000 without a flash than annoying, or distracting, folks with a flash at lower ISOs.

Too noisy is very subjective and depends on the situation. I find the noise at ISO 10,000 comparable to the grain on Tri-X.

I have found that I have lost far more photos trying to preserve ISO and ending up at too slow of a shutter speed, or too narrow of a depth of field than I have by pushing the ISO too hard.

I have found that with hard drives being under $50/terabyte, unless I am shooting action, there is little downside to experimenting widely with exposure particularly with "tripod shots".

There is also little downside to just going out and experimenting, pushing beyond what I consider the limits of the camera to learn.

Also, as image processing improves, raw files that were too noisy a few years ago can now be cleaned up quite satisfactorily.

I have found that with the iso-invariance of the cameras, bracketing ISO has little benefit, unless I'm in danger of blowing out highlights. So, if I'm bracketing I'm usually either in Av or M mode. As I think about this, I may want to experiment again with bracketing in Tav mode, because blown highlights tend to be the danger.

In good light, in auto exposure, I'll shoot at ISO 100 and Av mode.

If I can't get ISO 100, in auto exposure, I'll set the shutter speed and aperture I need and take whatever ISO I can get in Tav mode. One time I was doing this at a concert, one frame looked a bit grainy, but still usable, and it turned out to be ISO 25,600.

Back when doing low light work with much older tech sensors, I found that if something is noisier than I like, if I process in black and white the noise just looks like grainier film, and is much less objectionable.