I coat half-rack back ribs heavily with mustard then apply enough rub to cover
completely. The rub is a mix of brown sugar, salt, paprika and black pepper.
The first three ingredients are combined in equal amounts and then about half
as much black pepper. When I know my guests will like it I add about 1/2
teaspoon cayenne. I give the rub at least a couple hours to work, then smoke
the ribs at 225 degrees F for 2 hours, 45 minutes. When the time is almost up I
prepare 18 inch by 18-inch squares of heavy duty aluminum foil. I put a half
slab on each piece of foil, top each with a tablespoon of butter and wrap
tightly. I then give them another 2 hours at 225F. Finally, I unwrap them, coat
them with my bbq sauce and put them in the smoker just long enough for the
sauce to begin to caramelize.
Serve with Cole slaw, extra sauce (warm) and lots of napkins.
Paul