And a bit more reminiscing on Gold Hill… In 1981 Meg and I spent 3 weeks in
that region, Bicycles mostly, loaded panniers, B&Bs for overnights. Some train
travel along the way. Our overall route was London to Tavistock to Lands End to
Bath to Cardiff to Northern Wales to Cambridge to London. In preparation for
the trip I had ordered a Tourism Brochure from some outfit in England. The
cover photo was of Gold Hill. A feature story was about Castle Coomb (sp?) a
few miles east of Bath. Our journey’s first leg was by train to Shaftsbury, by
bike up to the old town on the hill top, then onward to another train out into
Devon where the serious biking started. We probably had loafs of bread in the
panniers, I know we had just about everything else, but we did not ride up or
down Gold Hill.

stan