Migration Assistant is not designed to install operating system software. That
takes the macOS installer. MA is designed to install apps and user data onto a
volume already prepared with an installed operating system.

There is third party sw on the market that does an efficient job of cloning a
bootable onto a formatted empty drive. I have two of them, ChronoSync and Super
Duper, that do a terrific job.