John -
note that he said "except for essentials"  - We are in the same situation in NY except not quite as severely - I'm sure taking the dog out for exercise and a walk and his "duty" is considered necessary.  There are a few things that I consider a bit of a benefit... NYC on st Patricks day, is worse than NEw Years eve and Santa-con - the drunken sots usually screaming well into the night outside my window are gone.  No loud music, no shouting revelers well into the predawn hours on the roof of the building next door or the deck below my bedroom window (illegal deck) and practically in my downstairs neighbor's apt.

Maybe NYU will stay closed for the semester.. ;-)

ann