This is not strictly true. Though yes, the PDML settings favor Plain Text, there have been adjustments made to allow some MIME stripping/conversion in the process, as long as there is also a Plain Text version available.

Sending from the subscribed address is important, and message size also plays a role, in order to save bandwidth. And of course the intertubes sometimes just lose things.

I am not aware of any issues with subject lines causing rejection, but that's not to say it's impossible. There have been some syntax errors that caused rejection with certain software in the past. I wouldn't mind having some examples of suspected subject line-related problems to look at if anyone wants to send them to me.

Thanks.