So, I am NOT from the UK but I can offer some responses.

> On Sep 7, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Daniel J. Matyola <danmaty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> These are serious questions, not meant to be political, solely to satisfy
> my own curiosity:
>
> 1.  What the heck is Cornwall?  Is it just a region of England, or are the
> Cornish a separate ethnic group, like, for example, the Welsh?

The Cornish are a Celtic group which were conquered and gradually assimilated
into the hodgepodge England.
NOT JUST a region, but the most important region of present-day England. (So
says he whose father-in-law was born in Cornwall. Others may well disagree with
this assessment.)
The Cornish language has all but disappeared but elements of the culture linger
on. From more recent history, the tin mines in the area provided not only tin
but also Cornishmen who immigrated to Michigan's Upper Peninsula and took on
mining jobs there. Bringing with them the Cornish Pasty, one of the most
important culinary advances in the modern era. (So says he whose wife learned
how to make pasties from her Cornish grandmother.) I do acknowledge some
passing resemblance to Italian Calzones and their descendent, the Argentine
empanadas, but pasties are really something else.

As far as Brexit is concerned, from my reading of today’s news from the UK, it
seems Boris is setting up to abrogate the Northern Irish understanding, thereby
almost inevitably leading to a No Deal exit. Like other politicians in ancient
and recent and current history, he has figured that creating chaos in one realm
is effective in distracting attention from other stuff going on, like pandemics
and such.

stan