When my neighborhood was finally wired for real fiber, I canned my
copper-pair landline and moved entirely to VoIP. Through the magic of
number portability I kept my ages old phone number as the primary VoIP
number.

It's all very amazing now, with multiple simultaneous calls in and
out, call-screening, voicemail, and all kinds of office PBX features.
My old copper based POTS phones are all still hooked up by way of ATAs
and I have a refurb multi line Cisco VoIP office phone on my desk.

The best part? The telco was charging me over $60 Canadian per month
for that plain vanilla no-frills landline, with no LD plan. Now I get
a year of world-wide calling and all the other features for under
forty bucks.

I do have a bunch of UPS A/C battery backups to keep the networking
gear alive in case of power failures. We get brief A/C hiccups fairly
often around here. But the phone system is at least as reliable as it
used to be in the old POTS copper pair days.

--
-bmw