William Peifer wrote:

> The picture on the NASA site is described in the caption as a time-lapse
> sequence.  Typically, shots like these are taken through a very strong
> filter (typically an optical density of 5 or so, corresponding to a
filter
> factor of ~100,000).

I remember a guy on a newsgroup a couple of years back, he wanted to set up
his camera to take an all-day exposure of the sun tracing its path across
the sky while exposing properly for the foreground, using a very strong ND
filter.  I do not know if he actually did this or not.  The reciprocity
effects would make things difficult to say the least...

Cheers,

- Dave