On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 01:08:40AM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:

> > On Oct 11, 2021, at 8:22 PM, John <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is *NOT* a computer that I put together myself.
> >
> > This is a computer that I bought pre-assembled with the OS pre-installed.
> > It only came with a 1TB SSD M.2 module (which I have not touched). But I
> > knew I would have to add additional drives.
>
> You might be able to diagnose it with a live boot linux CD.

The fundamental problem is that a file system using 32-bit segment addressing
and 512-byte segments can't be larger than 2TB.
While Microsoft do now have file systems that can use 64-bit segment numbers,
they aren't compatible with older firmware (and, in particular, older BIOSes),
so by default file system partitions will be initialized with the
backwards-compatible format.

You need a system using UEFI rather than an older BIOS if you want to boot off
a volume larger that 2TB.
There are a couple of extra hoops you need to jump through to be able to put a
file sytem larger than 2TB on a drive.
Presumably this is partly an effort to stop you making a drive you can't
actually use, and partly because at least some of the tools being used date
back to the days when NTFS was the new large-disk system, and a 2GB drive was
considered large!
The disk partitioning software is quite happy with large physical volumes, so
it's capable of making a raw partition larger than 2TB.  The problem comes when
you try and put a file system on it, because the default is NTFS.

Note that Windows 11 requires UEFI
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List