Am 14.04.23 um 10:33 schrieb Steve Cottrell:

Interesting. I guess it’s an aspect of different cultures’ perceptions.

Different cultures and, most of all, different times. There was a time
when a photographer was the friendly guy with a camera who took nice
pictures and people were glad when someone photographed them.

Things have definitely taken a turn for the worse since Dutroux in
Belgium and the accident of an estranged British housewife in Paris.
Today, we're the perverts trying to snatch pics of their kids.

I've taken photos of the blast furnace plant in Seraing with a few
buildings behind me when a crowd emerged from those houses and almost
lynched me because they "knew what's going on with the houses and the
children and all that...".

Another time, some guy with a bad case of testosterone poisoning
followed me in his car all across Liège and insisted on seeing my ID
because I had taken photos in his neighborhood and my car had foreign
numberplates.

I won't mention the guy who stormed out of his house wanting to know why
I had taken pictures of it (I hadn't) or the woman who kicked my Zoom
audio recorder off a sea wall in Ostend because she thought I had
photographed her with it.

I've all but given up taking photos when there are people and, worse
still, children around. It's just not worth it anymore.

HCB would have a hard time nowadays and our museums would be a lot emptier.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog  : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com