I won’t claim to be an expert on this. I use LR Classic, currently at ver
13.0.1. My current images and catalog are on my computers HD, and backed up on
external HDs. I keep older images on external HDs.

LR (not LR Classic) is web based. You can put images onto your computer HD, but
the working assumption is that they are stored in the Adobe cloud. The editing
tools on LR are different and seem less useful IMHO than those in LR Classic. I
think LR would be great for someone mostly using their phone as a camera.

I sometimes use LR when traveling, and then transfer the images to my computer
at home and import them into LR Classic.
That is a complicated not very useful workflow, and so I have started either
talking my computer with me when I travel, or I wait to review/edit/post any
images untilI am back home. (My one computer is a 2021 MacBook Pro; when at
home it connects to a 27” monitor.)

 My basic monthly subscription includes LR, LR Classic, Photoshop, some other
Adobe stuff, and some online storage in the Adobe Cloud. I have no idea the
pricing options, but back when I shifted from LR v.6, the annual cost for the
bundle was about the same as I was paying each year to upgrade from 4 to 5 to 6…

Stan