----- Original Message -----
From: Ayash Kanto Mukherjee
Subject: Re: Max. # of B/W film.

> Can I use that stock solution further for say another roll of
36 exposure
> film? From your reply, it seems that the answer is no.

Correct. The developer would be exhausted after processing.

> Sorry, I could not get the second sentence of your reply.
Could you please
> explain a bit further, if it is not annoying?

What you called uprating is one of my pet peeves. The generic
term is actually "pushing" the film, and it causes a loss of
shadow detail and an increase in contrast. If you are shooting
in very flat light, it is not so bad, but often, the environment
that pushed film finds itself being used in is high contrast
stuff, such as night street photography.

> I shall like to know one more thing. Suppose I am using films
without
> uprating and all the films are of identical speeds. Now there
is a term
> called "Batch Processing" where more than one films are
developed in one
> go. Now suppose that I have 4 rolls of films to be processed.
Suppose I am
> using a negetive developing tank which can accept 2 rolls
> of film at once. In "Batch Processing", am I supposed to
change the
> developer solution with fresh solution  after processing 2
rolls or
> shall I continue using the same developer solution?

I would use the developer once and discard it, on general
principles. Stay with the rule of thumb (for D-76, anyway) which
is minimum 100ml of stock solution per roll of film, and discard
after use.

William Robb