From a 1979 special number of Chasseur d'Images.

Total number of cameras surveyed: about 15,000

Model            A        B     C       D
N*k*n f          9       78     0,7     0,37
pentax kx       10       32     0,7     1,30
N*k*n el2        6       24     1,8     0,63
leica all       20      129     2,4     1,10
C*n*n f1        13       42     2,6     0,47
pentax sp5/1000 24      111     2,9     0,53
N*k*n ft        42      120     3,0     0,20
C*nt*x rts      17       16     4,2     0,20
N*k*n f2        13       32     4,4     1,27
K*n*c* tn3      20       50     4,5     0,17

Etc... Almost 100 models or groups of models.

A: Number of cameras returned per 100 cameras.

Note: Older cameras have more chance to have been returned more
frequently (than newer cameras).  So this number does not tell us a
lot about toughness.  But readers gave the number of months they have
had the camera (column B) and the number of photographs taken with
their camera.  A somewhat meaningfull measure of toughness is then
possible (column C).

B: Average age of camera (months).

C: Number of returns (for service) per 100,000 clicks (rounded to .1)
Average for all cameras is 16,6 (not 11 as I reported earlier)

D: Share (%) of all cameras own by readers.  If you multiply this %
by approx. 15,000, you get, for example, that 56 Nikon F and 195
Pentax KX have been considered in the survey.  Models with less than
25 cameras surveyed are grouped (i.e. all leica, all topcon, all
mamiya etc.)

Global results (average number of returns per 100,000) for a few brands:

N*k*n     7
Pentax    9,6
Ol*mp*s  15,8
K*n*c*   15,8
F*j*c*   15,8
AVERAGE  16,6
M*n*lt*  17,5
Pr*kt*c* 28,7

There are many comments in the text (for example, most common types
of repairs are mentionned for many models).  Also average cost of
repair and average delay (not interesting as it relates to one
country and back then).

>I seriously doubt the survey's methodology. If not
>knowing numbers which they wouldn't know (number of total cameras in
>use of that particular type compared to defect ones), it's
>meaningless.

The methodology itself seems OK.  If we believe that these 15000
cameras behaved in a "typical" way... but it's not a question of
believing...  Is 15,000 enough?  Is the margin of error too high?

Andre