In a message dated 8/2/2002 7:17:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I did the old trick of leaving the LX on 1/2000 for half a
> roll of Delta 3200 DOH!

UGH! I've done this myself!

Rob, I totally sympathize with your plight here. It's a tricky environment to
shoot in. I've been doing a lot of shooting of bands lately and it's
definately a harrowing experience. I have had good luck simply pushing 800
color neg and, of course, pushing Tri-X.

Here's a couple I got recently of a group in San Francisco. These were taken
with the LX (with the SC-69), 85mm f1.4, on consumer 800 rated 1600 and
pushed. I didn't use any color correction:

http://www.members.aol.com/bmacrae/high20.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/bmacrae/high202.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/bmacrae/high204.jpg

Here's one on Tri-X pushed one stop:

http://www.members.aol.com/bmacrae/high203.jpg

I was able to get some fairly quick speeds out of the LX (1/125?) as I recall
that night. Most of the shots were wide open on aperture-priority. It appears
as though your group didn't have nearly the same amount of light on them. I
was lucky enough to put the word out that I needed more light so the guy I
knew in the band had the tech leave the house lights at 50% for the whole
show. This made all the difference. That allowed me to go from a 1/8 to a
1/30 at center stage. I figured as long as they don't jump around too much
I'd be OK. I still managed to shoot mostly at 1/60 sec or slightly faster as
the lights changed throughout the show.

Next time I'm going to try the Portra 800 rated at 1600 and process it
normally and allow the film's lattitude to take care of the -1 exposure.

-Brendan MacRae