:-( That could be a reason. I also don't use flash more than 20-25%
of the times. No power zoom and no mid-way film rewind.

Just one possibility that my batteries are poor quality. I use Sanyo
2CR5 batteries that are probably smuggled (imported?) into India
via the south-east Asia route perhaps.

Gaurav