But the mail you were relying to said "I wonder if these expensive
digital cameras will retain their value like film cameras, or as I
suspect, they will follow the depreciation of computers."  Depreciation
does not refer to the new price variance of anything.  To be honest,
what you are saying about new DSLRS is actually not that far different
from PCs.  New PCs have not come down as drastically in price as you
might think(unless you buy a cheapo non brand low spec one)  - you just
get a lot more for your money. Folks may be chasing old SLRs, but not
old DSLRs!