"Pieter Nagel" wrote:
>> there're tons of other variables in play: the duration of
>> exposure, the depth of field, and so on, and on, and on. that's why
>> there're all those nd filters, multiple exposures, and so on.
>So, my point was: the pentax modeless interface nicely focusses one's
>attention, when dealing with the camera, one two of the major variables
>where the camera actually is relevant - and those variables are few,
>compared to the vastness of psychological variables.

        I think you may be confusing metering modes with autofocus modes.  Pentax,
and most cameras I've seen, have some of the follwing metering modes: spot,
center weighted, whole frame, or multisegment metering.  These affect the
exposure of the film.
        The rest of the settings on the dial mostly affect how the autofocus works,
and therefore how the image appears on the film.  Common ones I've seen are:
portrait (focus smack on subject), closeup (twitch focus to catch more of
foreground in DOF), landscape (twitch focus to catch more of background in
DOF), or ??? (set focus and aperture to catch last two focus distances in the
DOF -- don't know what they call it but my wife's camera has it).
Interestingly, on the Pz-1p, Pentax has some even more obscure ones hidden,
like the one that attempts to maximize the sharpness of the image by
selecting the optimum aperture for the lens.

        Personally, I agree with Pieter, a lack of bewildering picture taking modes
is a blessing.  Oddly though, I want all the metering modes, but portrait AF
mode is sufficient.

later,
patbob ([EMAIL PROTECTED])