>My thinking is that its not just large print sizes that show the
>difference, but also the greater enlargement of a cropped part of an
>image.  How many times I have taken a photo in landscape orientation
> >andthought that there is a big space to the side and I want to crop it
> >to make it portrait.  This means using perhaps half the available >image
>and therefore enlarging it twice as much as normal.  Therefore >if you need
>to go to A3 to show the difference between digital and >film for 'full
>frame' shots, by the time I have done my crop I would >see the difference
>at A4. [Rob Brigham]

I think this touches upon an important point and one that suggests a
continual need for digital to develop beyond the standards of film (whereas
many are still, I believe erroneously, using film as a yardstick for digital
resolution).  I imagine digital resolution continually increasing until one
day the method will be that one starts by taking an initial "survey" and
then goes into a post-production mode on a PC and creates "pictures" -
changing the perspective angles, adding and subtracting various things, at
times "zooming" well into an image for a detail or macro from what started
as a panoramic survey.  The majority of the images will be made thusly in
post-production.  And having a great capacity to capture large amounts of
information (far, far more than on film) from a scene fairly quickly will be
deemed essential.  Of course, in my opinion this has nothing to do with
photography - but at this point that's neither here nor there.

Robert Soames Wetmore

"I am not interested in constructing a building so much as in having a
perspicuous view of the foundations of possible buildings"
Wittgenstein