Interesting idea.  It would take the equivalent of the stitch software
to make panoramas but in the depth direction.  I wonder how many
"in-focus" slices a camera would have to take to get enough info for the
software to create an images with a ".1 m to infinity" DOF.   Obviously,
it would depend on the FL and aperture, although I'm sure the sharpness
would oscillate since the DOF is not an "all or nothing" phenomena.  The
software would be complicated but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't
work.

This is true as things are at the moment, but I don't see why this
couldn't
be changed - particularly if companies are trying to come up with new
things
to sell cameras in the future, and if people are convinced they need
this
sort of thing.  I think most of these types of limitations, such as
DOF, can
be overcome by computers - like maybe something that focuses in and out

quickly to record a scene at a myriad of different focal points which
can
then be interpreted (interpolated) by software...or increasing
sensitivity
so much that depth of field is enormous (and can then be foreshortened
by
various types of blurring software).  I can almost guarantee that
everything
is going to go post-production in this way.

RSW