>I think this touches upon an important point and one that suggests a
>continual need for digital to develop beyond the standards of film
>(whereas many are still, I believe erroneously, using film as a >yardstick
>for digital resolution).  I imagine digital resolution >continually
>increasing until one day the method will be that one >starts by taking an
>initial "survey" and then goes into a post-production mode on a PC and
>creates "pictures" - changing the perspective angles, adding and
>subtracting various >things, at times "zooming" well into an image for a
>detail or macro >from what started as a panoramic survey.  The majority of
>the images >will be made thusly in post-production.  And having a great
>capacity >to capture large amounts of information (far, far more than on
>film) >from a scene fairly quickly will be deemed essential.  Of course, in
> >my opinion this has nothing to do with photography - but at this point
>that's neither here nor there.
>[Robert Soames Wetmore]

>One huge weakness to this concept is that of DOF.  This is a method
>that is employed at the time of exposure to sometimes emphasize or
>de-emphasize a particular element or subject.  If you were to capture
>a very large scene and then later pick it apart, focus and
>out-of-focus areas would really make or break the picture.  That means
>you would still have to apply as much or more creativity at the time
>of capture as you would at post processing.
>[Bruce]

This is true as things are at the moment, but I don't see why this couldn't
be changed - particularly if companies are trying to come up with new things
to sell cameras in the future, and if people are convinced they need this
sort of thing.  I think most of these types of limitations, such as DOF, can
be overcome by computers - like maybe something that focuses in and out
quickly to record a scene at a myriad of different focal points which can
then be interpreted (interpolated) by software...or increasing sensitivity
so much that depth of field is enormous (and can then be foreshortened by
various types of blurring software).  I can almost guarantee that everything
is going to go post-production in this way.

RSW