On 30 Aug 2002 at 22:38, Fred wrote:

> > The LTD lenses take this progression to the next level and have
> > almost gone full circle to present an AF lens that feels more like
> > a traditional MF(ocus) lens.
>
> ...unless you actually have to focus it.
>
> I'm sorry to disagree, Rob, but I don't care for the "whirry" focus
> feel of either the 43/1.9 or the 77/1.8.  (There seems to me to be a
> big difference between the "silky" feel of a good manual focus lens
> and the "cement mixer" feel of some - but not all - of the autofocus
> lenses.)  I much prefer the feel of the FA* 85/1.4 (due to its
> clutch, I guess) to either of the Limited lenses that I've tried.

Hi Fred,

I'm not so concerned about the literal feel WRT tactility i.e. whir or
silkiness but more so focus ring placement, accessibility and function. I don't
care so much for the manual feel of FA lenses with the clutch either, I have
used several of these family of lenses on which the clutch had become quite
loose though use so much so that moving the focus ring didn't guarantee that
the focus would actually change. I also don't care for the ultra short throw of
the focus rings on some of the F/FA lenses, other listers have noted this as an
advantage. Each to their own I guess :-)

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110