In a message dated 8/31/02 7:26:57 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Last of all, I've decided that the quest for absolute sharpness in my

> slides is not as important as I used to think.  A good image will stand

> out regardless of whether your lens was used wide-open, handheld at

> 1/30th.  I've recently been looking through a couple of Galen Rowell

> books and found that while some of the images are a little soft, they are

> still outstanding photographs.  So why lust after the greatest ultra-

> sharp glass?  If I want more detail I'll shoot with a bigger format...

My suggestion, don't go too far down this road. When it is supposed to be
sharp and it can be sharp it's always best to make it sharp. If it's a moody
shot, an artistic interpretation of a scene or a grab shot than sharpness
plays a secondary role. Maximize your excellent camera and lenses by making a
tripod an essential tool of the trade. That said, there is something to be
said about going out on a nice day, without a tripod, and shooting away. It's
better, I suppose to shoot without a tripod than to not shoot at all.

>So why lust after the greatest ultra-sharp glass?  If I want more detail
I'll shoot with a bigger format...

I'm a firm believer that with good glass and excellent technique you can get
pretty close to the quality of large format in the 35mm world. Especially if
the larger format photographer depends on the format to give good quality and
therefore refuses to use good tecnique. It happens.

So with 35mm you can get close to having the best of both worlds. It's just
depends on technique and how you want to use the camera.

Vic