In agreement with Rob more than JCO here!  A good portrait, for
example, may be soft everywhere, _except_ the eyes, which should be
perfectly clear and sharp.  Which is why a soft filter is so popular
for this type of work.  On the other hand, if looking at hard-edged
objects, for example racing cars, motor-cycles, architectural shots of
buildings etc., I for one expect to see critical sharpness in the
subject.
Horses for courses, I guess: there are some photos where sharpness is
important, so you want a sharp lens.  For others, it is not, and the
circumstances of taking the photo may have prevented any real sharpness
being achieved (eg. Robert Capa's D-Day landing shots), but this does
not detract from the impact.
In the end, you can always soften a good lens, but even digital
sharpening can only partially retrieve something taken with the
equivalent of the bottom of a Coke bottle!
I'll still value my good Pentax glass above others, even though I know
I have a classic portrait lens in an old Vivitar 135/2.5 which has
excellent resolution, but lower contrast than is the norm nowadays -
does a great job on the ladies!

My A$0.02 (improving daily!) worth.

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia