Hello again everyone. I am hoping someone has some experience with
predictive auto-focus. I have this feature on both my PZ-1p and my 645n.
What this feature means to me is that the camera makes an attempt to
"predict" where a moving object will be in order to get the most precise
focus on that object at the time of shutter release. Okay, that makes sense.
Here is where I have the problem. It is in the use of this feature. When I
put either camera on "servo" for focus, the camera will allow me to fire the
shutter whether the camera is in focus or not. I had read on a 645
discussion thread that another 645n owner/user said that as a wedding
photographer he uses the predictive auto-focus to photograph individuals
coming down the aisle towards him. Okay, that makes perfect sense except
that unlike "single" mode where the camera won't fire until the focus is
complete, this mode fires "at will" so to speak. So how do you use this
"predictive auto-focus". I could surmise that if you press the shutter
release button half way the camera will focus. Then pressing it the rest of
the way will release the shutter with the camera focused at that distance.
With an object moving towards you, if it has moved far enough to have gone
out of focus, then you have not achieved anything. So the question is; how
does this work and how is it most effectively used.

Thanks in advance,
Glen O'Neal (in Kansas City)