I guess I wasn't being clear about this.

I'm definitely not saying that Pentax needs a DSLR to stay in business.
 I'm saying that my fear is that Pentax might have so much financial
trouble (for any reason) that they will go the Olympus route and stop
producing their better cameras, especially the 35 mm variety. I think
this financial trouble is most likely to come from overall loss of
market share and not from the absence of any single product.  Pentax
serves my needs just fine and I would be more likely to buy an IS lens
than a DSLR.

I'm not sure what I think about the so-called flagship 35mm.  In my
mind, the MZ-S is obviously in league with the F100 or EOS-3.  The
Pentax flagship would be the EOS-1v/F5 counterpart which would cost at
least $1200-$1500.  Even if such a beast were available with better FPS,
AF x-sensors, etc., I know that I would still prefer my MZ-S at the
lower price (given my needs).  Would such a camera "save" Pentax.  I
have no clue.  It certainly didn't help Minolta that much.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 458-8873
FAX: (540) 458-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/04/02 10:36AM >>>
> My biggest problem is not that I need a DSLR but
> that Pentax will suffer
> so much financially that it might have to go the
> Olympus rote and just
> stop making SLR's altogether, and instead make their
> money on P&S cameras.

more likely, they would suffer financially if they *did* produce a
dslr.
besides, many have pointed out (and i also agree with that) that it may
very
well be that dslr is not The Way, so why waste tons of r&d resources
now on a
potentially loosing technology? a new flagship slr or a bunch of top
notch
lenses would more likely to win them new customers as well as good
publicity.
speaking for myself, i would definitely pass a $5K whizz bang gadget
that takes
worse pictures than any $100 p&s, but would seriously consider $1K slr
that had
USM, IS etc. and i suspect, i am not the only one.

> By the way, my spell checker keeps trying to
> replace "Photokina"  with "Fettuccini".

makes sense to me :)

best,
Mishka