> I have three Vivitar Series 1 lenses. The first a Mint 90-180 Flat
> Field, a 28-90 2.8-3.5 and a 70-210 3.5. The first I've used with
> great results to me with the limited experience that I have. The
> other two aren't tested enough to form an opinion. If someone has
> a knowledgable opinion about one, or all of these lenses I would
> appreciate some feedback. They will be used on my MX and Me-Super.

I own a 28-90mm and would recommend not to buy it. It's fast, that was the
reason for me to buy it, but that's almost the only advantage.
I'm planning to sell it.

It's features/bugs:
- heavy
- long
- has a lot of vignetting at 28mm
- has Variofocal, which is no feature, but more a bug: you have to readjust
focus after every change of focal length. OK, it's a one touch zoom but
nevertheless
- the front barrel is turning during focussing; poor for polarizers
- aperture not constant
- expensive; I paid about 200 US$ for mine

Vivitar says, that the Series 1 lenses don't need a correction of focus for
IR films as the glass is special made. But I can't remember at the moment if
that's true for this lens.
There's a follower with available with 28-105, but IIRC, it's nearly the
same construction.

Bernd H.