> > [...] and that one of the dumbest questions student ask visiting pro
> > photographers is what brand and make of camera they use!

Other than for general curiosity, I agree...

OTOH, a question I can see having _some_ value would be to ask
someone, "What is it _about_ the brand you use that you like."

                                        -- Glenn

PS:  Similarly, when deciding whether to go see a movie, it helps to
know what the friends advising me did or didn't like, not just how
much they liked or disliked it.  More than once I've gone to see a
movie, or bought a book, because the reasons a friend gave for not
liking it told me it was something I _would_ like.