<< I can relate to this.  A couple of years ago my daughter wanted some
 shots of displays showing one of her client's products in chemist (=
 drug stores) in Australia.  Not comparisons with competing products,
 not (necessarily) showing the store's name.  I did the proper thing and
 asked permission, and was refused in all but two of the eight places I
 tried.  What were they afraid of - the TLR I was carrying? >>

John. Possibly they were worried about commercial espionage?

 A few years back, whilst in the employee of Jessops, I was asked to go and
photograph all our competitors' windows. Great - a chance to escape that
'orrible shop. Standing in the street, they can't do much about your
presence. Hoiwever, when a certain Jessops employee then rolls into the shop,
announces "don't mind me, I work for the competition" and reels off half a
roll, I suppose they might have a point. Har! brings back fond memories.

Peter