----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Scott
Subject: Sky, UV, Haze filters?

> O Sages, speak to me...
>
> What the heck is the difference between Sky, UV,  and Haze
filters?

> Are they all the same thing? It sounds like they are to me,
but
> manufacturers frequently offer two or all three side by side,
so I can't
> be right.
>
> How are they different, and cirumstances would cause me to
prefer this
> one or that one? Does a polarizing filter eliminate the use of
the three?

UV filter is essentially a lens cap. They don't do anything that
the glass in the lens already does.
Sky and Haze are generally the same thing, and essentially
subtract about 50ēK from the colour of the light being
transmitted. The idea is that daylight is often too blue, so
warming things up a bit is a good thing.
You can get stronger filters, such as UVB and UVC that give a
stronger effect.
I tend to distrust the little buggers, as more glass is bad
glass to my way of thinking, but I do have UV-C filters for my
longer telephoto lenses, on the off chance that they actually do
something useful.
Polarizers are a different animal altogether. However, stacking
filters is aways a gamble.

William Robb

This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To
unsubscribe,
go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't
forget to